Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What would you change about iOS?

iOS is not perfect, and neither is any other operating system. Over the next few days, I will discuss what I would change about iOS, and Android.


Have you ever wondered why your iPod/iPhone or iPad had certain icons that were animated and some were not? For example, the calendar app icon shows the number corresponding to the day of the month. However, the weather app icon constantly shows the same 23 degrees year round. Why not make it animated as well? Have the clock AND the weather icon animated, and we would have uniformity.

You know how on Android, the notifications show on the top? Well, why not on iOS too? I know many will start flaming and say that they are copying Android, but in all means, it is very useful. Currently, there are notifications coming in, and one does not know you get a notification unless you pull the bar down. How often will you do that? For example you're browsing the web. How would you know that someone texted you if your phone is on silent? You don't. Unless you pull down the notification bar. Annoying.

I constantly have the need to put my phone on silent during school hours, and it is essential for me to see quickly that it is on silent. When I am finished school, I like to turn my ringer sound on. I understand that on the left side of the iPhone, there is a little switch which shows ringer on and off. But what about on the screen? And how loud is the ringer exactly? It is on, but how loud? The only way to check that is to use the volume controls up and down. It would be nice to have a little icon on the screen.

Customization. The iPod/iPhone and iPad all lack in customization options. The only things you can personalize without jailbreaking is your home screen and lock screen wallpaper. I would like to be able to change the picture of certain icons. Like themes in Cydia, it would give the user a lot more freedom.

What would you like to see in iOS? What would you add, change, or remove?

On the other hand, iOS is certainly very stable, and a pleasure to use. My rant is predicated on what I would like based on what I have seen on other operating systems. In no way am I bashing iOS, only expressing some concerns for the operating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment